I love goals.
Any kind of goal, really. There is something so exciting about creating little “mile-markers” in your life, to give you an extra skip in your step when you can start to see the big picture. In fact, I set goals on a daily basis. For instance, I will workout until “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” goes to commercial break (and then I get sucked in until the next commercial break. And the next. And by the time the show’s over, I’ve burned 600 calories!). I will clean the house today (at least do the dishes). I will save this $20 bill for my student loan payments ( I really will this time!). I will find a job with benefits and paid vacation days by the end of this year (unless something better comes along). I will be nice (that’s a big one!).
It doesn’t matter how small or insignificant it seems in the overall scheme of life. Little goals most definitely add up!
So…this year I decided to create a “Happy List” as opposed to traditional New Years Resolutions. Instead of the usual “Lose 20 pounds by next Friday” or “Shun sugar and carbs and anything tasty forever,” I created a list that I will actually enjoy during the process. And here it is:
- Do something physical every single day. It doesn’t have to be a 2-hour workout and it doesn’t have to involve the gym. It can be as simple as walking all day at the mall (and I plan on doing this A LOT).
- Go on as many vacations/day-trips/overnight adventures as possible. Travel is one of my greatest passions. And the best part of all is, I love to travel anywhere! It can be as close as Santa Barbara or as far away as New York City. It doesn’t matter where, just GO.
- Subscribe to a new magazine each month. For as long as I can remember, I have always been obsessed with magazines. Having them delivered to my mailbox each month is basically my idea of heaven.
- Continue to be published. More on that later🙂
- Go to Disneyland at least 12 times this year. Maximize that insanely-overpriced but oh-so-worth-it annual pass.
- Knit a cowl-neck scarf. On Christmas Eve I decided I wanted to learn how to knit. Thus, I stayed up late watching tutorials on YouTube and am proud to say, I am now officially OBSESSED.
- Host a garage sale. My family has been planning a garage sale for months and it still has yet to happen. 2010=the year to take back the garage floor.
- Go hiking. I love to hike. Love, love, love it. I am most definitely doing it as often as possible this year, with whomever I can round up. That means YOU, John.
- Wake up early. For a non-morning person like myself, this means before 10 AM.
- Scrapbook at least 2 layouts per week. I live for this hobby! It is my happy place! So why is it so hard to get going on new projects? This year, I will make it happen. And I can’t wait!
What are some of your goals for 2010?